Monday, June 1, 2009

'Angels and Demons': A-




The First really good film of 2009. Commercial? Yes. Smart? Yes.

Ron Howard has redeemed himself after the boring boring 'Frost/Nixon' and the mostly dreary and confusing 'Da Vinci Codes'. Granted the brilliant 'Da Vinci' book was a challenge to film and i guess he did the best he or anyone could have. Trust me it was not the premise of the novel nor the film I objected to.. I've been a proponent of the 'holy blood, holy grail' theory years before Dan Brown 'fictionalized' it. but enough...

'Angels and Demons', the lesser of the Dan Brown novels, makes for the better film. It's a summer romp worth taking. Despite the absurd accusations against Howard and Brown this is NOT an attack on the catholic church or papacy. In fact one starts to root for the church. Even I wanted the church to win. Anti-papist that I am.

The casting is quite well done Mr. Howard. Unlike your horrific choice of female lead in 'Da Vinci' your pick of Ayelet Zurer in this one was a brilliant choice. As the physicist working along with Tom Hank's character she was more than convincing, charming and quite stunning. I can only hope we see her again soon on the big screen.

Therefore, highly recommended. This is based on the fact that it's a repeat type of movie and just works in every way a film of this nature should work. Acted well, great to look at, a score that works frame by frame, great editing and gorgeous cinematography. Some of the best scoring and cinematography since David Lean's epics. The art direction simply amazed me. The Vatican and Sistine Chapel reproductions were flawless. I've seen the original and this set design replication is remarkable.


Congratulations Mr. Howard. I know I have not always been kind to your films in the recent past but you have re-won me over.I actually see Oscar noms in your future for this one.








No comments: