Sunday, October 5, 2008

Rejoice Rejoice Emmanuel for on this date in 1975 a New Star burst forth that would SHINE with Beauty And Brilliance and she would be called Kate.

Well I'm rejoicing. I first came to Kate by way of 'Sense and Sensibility' in 1995. I was impressed. So in 1996 when 'Jude' was released I went to see it. I am becoming more impressed. Also in 1996 I went to see 'Hamlet' because it was a sort of Julie Christie comeback. And there was Kate playing 'Ophelia' and I know longer needed more impressions. I knew then and there that Kate would be an actress to be reckoned with. For the record thank god for Christie and Winslet's presence as otherwise this was a big fat bore.

Then comes 1997 and the titanic 'Titanic'. The STAR was born. From that moment on Kate would rise to the heights of super stardom. But Kate would also amaze. Being offered a lot of major Hollywood movies Kate opted to do smaller independent films. This is how she really learned the craft. Kate became an actress not a star. Thank god.

She's had five Oscar noms with no win. I could quibble with three of them. I can really accept one, that being Jennifer Connelly in 2001. Kate in 'Iris' lost to Jennifer's 'A Dangerous Mind' and even I say that was correct. The lose to Helen Hunt in 1997 was a sham. Truth be told Julie Christie and Judy Dench also could have or should have won over Hunt that year.
The real robberey was in 2004. Kate lost for 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. WHAT? And to Hillary Skank, typo intended, for 'Million Dollar Baby'. Ridiculous, Absurd, Embarrassment. MADDENING!. Hillary snuck in with the rest of the Clint Eastwood's film awards. Highway Robbery.

I do have things to say about her 2006 lose for 'Little Children' but I'll deal with that another time.

Right now though Happy Birthday Kate. Thanks for acting. Thanks for the choices. Thanks for the Work.

























No comments: