Saturday, September 20, 2008

Happy Birthday Sophia Loren this September 20th

Sophia! WOW! She has been one of my favorite actresses forever. Although, I must admit i love her Italian films but her American films not so much. Some are cute but none reach the bar of her Italian speaking roles. I am showcaseing three here. Three not only my favorite Sophia films but three of my all time favorites.

'Two Women'. Sophia became the first to win a lead Oscar for this role. It made her the first actor to win for a foreign language film. And it was more than deserved. Again, I quibble with Oscar a lot but not on this. Oscar got it so so right in 1961. It was the year 'West Side Story' won it all, well practically, and Maximillian Schell got the gold for 'Judgement At Nuremburg'. It may be the last year Oscar got it right all the way around.








'A Special Day' and a very special movie. I loved the pairing of Sophia and the brilliant Marcello Mastroianni especially in this film.




'Marriage Italian Style' A great comedy with Marcello. This remains one of my favorites.







I Love this photo of Sophia and Jayne Mansfield



The Gallery














No comments: