Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Happy Birthday Deborah Kerr 9/30


Deborah Kerr died on Oct. 16, 2007. I had not yet begun this blog. Had it existed I would have done a major tribute to her. Why? Because she would have deserved it! Well it is never too late. So on her birthday I will begin with my number 8 favorite film 'The King and I'. That actually is the movie that introduced me to Miss Kerr. I would then work backward and then forward to view her films. In doing so I discovered one of the greatest actresses of all time.
It is said that when Louis B. Mayer met her he changed her name to Kerr because it rhymed with STAR. True or not it became the truth.

Deborah NEVER won an Oscar, Never!!! Along with Richard Burton and Peter O'Toole never winning, the shame of Oscar and it's often absurd choices continued.*
If there is a successor on film to Ms. Kerr it may be Kate Winslet another English Rose. Kate has yet to win the gold statue. The next time Kate is nominated and loses she will tie with Deborah for most noms most loses. Be careful Oscar you are too tainted already.
The biggest loose for Deborah was losing to Elizabeth Taylor for 'Butterfield 8;. Even Miss Taylor says it was "the worst piece of crap I ever made". Hollywood thought Liz was going to die after an emergency tracheonomy during the voting period. Deborah lost for 'The Sundowners' having given a pitch-perfect performance. Shame Shame Shame Oscar!
It's a somewhat lost fact that Deborah filmed the role without makeup. How many actresses would have done that at that time?

Over the next weeks I'll highlight some of my favorite Deborah movies. My recommendations. A variety as to drama, comedic ability and the power to make me me laugh, cry, think and keep me on the edge of my seat. She had it all and did it all. Film is a lesser place without her.

I give you Deborah Kerr







*(now although i think oscars often get it wrong i do get caught up in the hoopla as you will see at year end.)

No comments: